Information Literacy and Classes
Information literacy is a feature of recent innovations in education and a crucial aspect of a modern library. The main purpose is to acquaint students and faculties with the information sources, resources, and techniques to retrieve the resources. The BRACU library has a rich collection of resources which is continually expanding. Further, advances in computer technology are profoundly affecting nearly all sources as well as systems of access and use. Currently, the library strives to meet the information needs of the BRAC University community and to provide appropriate access to the faculty and students. In order to maximize the use of resources it is necessary to help users gain maximum benefit from information sources and systems. At this situation, an attempt has been taken to establish a BRACU Library Learning Resource Centre (LRC) which will help users gain maximum support from the library. To achieve the above goals library staff will teach users to know, understand and evaluate information systems, to select sources and devise search strategies appropriate to their needs, and use systems, sources and search strategies effectively. Apart from regular service this Learning Resource Centre (LRC) will provide some special services which are usually not available in other BRACU Computers LABs. Library staffs are specially trained to provide these services.
To support information literacy the following services and training will be provided from BRACU Library Learning Resource Centre (LRC):
- Provide general orientations on library services and resources such as databases, e-journals, online catalogue etc.
- Provide tailored presentations emphasizing appropriate reference sources, electronic resources for a particular discipline, and class or assignment.
- Assist students and faculties either one-on-one or in small groups to help them develop the information literacy skills for using information resources, evaluation of information and information sources, keywords and related terms for search strategy.
- Provide training on building a bibliography and proper citation according to the discipline: for example APA, MLA, Harvard, Chicago style etc by using Mendeley Software.
- Offer services like scanning documents/pictures, CD writing, and printing including color printing.
- Meet users? inquiries in relation to LRC.
- Conduct training programs and workshops for library professionals of other organization
Policy to use Library Learning Resource Centre
- Students must provide a valid BRACU ID card to use the LRC. The lab is restricted to BRACU students, staff and faculties. Students will be required to log into a workstation using their name and ID number.
- Students may use the workstation for one hour after they have signed in. If there are no requests, students may stay longer than one hour, but may be asked to give up a workstation if other students subsequently request access to the workstation.
- The LRC may only be used for course work and related research. No recreational use of the computers is permitted. This includes chat rooms, games, personal email, and web browsing. Anyone violating this policy will be asked to leave.
- No more than two students may use a workstation at one time.
- Cell phones, food and drink are specifically prohibited in the LRC.
- Personal software cannot be loaded on LRC?s computers. Students must save their work on a removable disk. No provisions will be made to allow students to save any information on the computer's hard drive.
- No student will be given permission to use the LRC during the times that it is being used for classroom teaching (orientations, presentations and briefing sessions). As much advance notice as possible will be given when the lab is scheduled for use as a classroom. Shortly before any classes are scheduled to begin, students will be asked to save any work and then be remotely logged off by the lab monitor.
Booking a Class The BRACU Ayesha Abed Library offers classes throughout the year. Classes may be booked by sending email to email@example.com.